We’ve Acquired data.aiLearn more



Pokémon GO Revenue Hits $1.8 Billion on Its Two Year Launch Anniversary

Pokemon GO has earned $1.8 billion worldwide since launch, according to Sensor Tower Store Intelligence estimates.

Pokemon GO screenshot

Released two years ago today, Niantic's Pokémon GO became an overnight sensation. While the fervor has subsided in the 24 months since that game-changing day, players worldwide continue to spend more than $2 million per day in their quest to catch those original Pokémon and the dozens that have been added since launch. This has led to the game reaching $1.8 billion in player spending, according to the latest Sensor Tower Store Intelligence estimates, having crossed the $1 billion milestone in January 2017.

Revenue Breakdown

The United States and Japan lead all-time player spending in the game, accounting for 34 and 28 percent of its revenue across the App Store and Google Play, respectively. Germany, Great Britain, and Taiwan round out its top first countries at 5 percent, 4 percent, and 3 percent of revenue, respectively.

Chart showing revenue for Pokemon GO's top five earning countries for its first two years

Google Play has accounted for the largest portion of Pokémon GO's revenue at 58 percent, with the App Store making up the remaining 42 percent of spending.

Still a Top App

While the time has passed when Pokémon GO was the world's No. 1 earning app—something it managed to be on iPhone for a staggering 74 consecutive days during the summer of 2016—it remains a top 10 app by revenue, ranking at No. 9 overall for the month of June, when it grossed an estimated $70 million worldwide.

As of today, the game is in the App Store's top 10 grossing charts on 21 countries, including the U.S., Great Britain, Germany, and Canada. It's No. 14 on Japan's top grossing iPhone app chart.

More to Catch

Niantic continues to refine and expand the game two years in, most recently adding the much-anticipated ability to trade Pokémon with friends, and acquiring technology that will make the core monster catching mechanics even more rewarding for players. It has even decided to license the game's engine to other developers, ensuring a legacy for Pokémon GO that extends beyond being one of the all-time highest earning apps and a true paradigm shift for mobile gaming overall.

There's also still the planned rollout of the game in China, which will see Niantic partnering with mobile giant NetEase to bring Pokémon GO to the country's players.

Of course, its unprecedented success will be what leaves a lasting mark on the mobile industry, and its ability to continue earning millions each day so long after release is something we'll no doubt still be commenting on when its third anniversary rolls around next July.

Sensor Tower's platform is an enterprise-level offering. Interested in learning more?

Randy Nelson

Written by: Randy Nelson, Head of Mobile Insights

Date: July 2018